Enjoy competitive salaries and exceptional benefits by joining the rapidly growing PACE team at Georgia Tech.
Located in the heart of vibrant Atlanta, Georgia, the Partnership for an Advanced Computing Environment (PACE) team defines and manages centralized research computing services at the Georgia Institute of Technology. We facilitate research efforts and foster strategic partnerships to provide Georgia Tech researchers with an unrivaled advantage, empowering them to lead their disciplines for the advancement of science and society across the globe. In addition to high-performance computing, we incorporate emerging cloud, network, data analytics, and storage technologies. Our fast-growing team directly supports faculty, students, and other researchers resulting in a dynamic environment filled with intellectual stimulation and continuous innovation.
PACE (Partnership for an Advanced Computing Environment) enables discoveries by providing the necessary bridge between state-of-the-art cyberinfrastructure and world-class scholars, revealing a powerful combination of the two. We facilitate research efforts and foster strategic partnerships to provide Georgia Tech researchers with an unrivaled advantage, empowering them to lead their disciplines for the advancement of science and society across the globe.
The PACE team is seeking a Cloud Architect to work in collaboration with Georgia Tech researchers and their groups in development, enablement, and adaptation of cloud computing technologies to complement advanced research computing capabilities at Georgia Tech. This position will design and integrate existing cyber infrastructure and services with the cloud platforms of today and the future, by taking advantage of specialized technologies such as containerization, workflow orchestration, object-based storage solutions, and Software Defined Networks (SDN).
We collaborate closely with faculty, their teams, and IT professionals across campus to develop federated cloud solutions that efficiently address the needs of a diverse array of faculty and students, with particular focus on performance, security, and shared expertise. This collaboration requires the cloud architect to work efficiently with teams internal and external to PACE, including vendors.
We seek candidates with a broad set of technical experience with cloud technologies private, public, and hybrid. Relevant skills include, but are not limited to: OpenStack, Cloudstack, MS Azure, AWS, Google Compute Engine, Penguin on Demand (POD), Open Science Grid (OSG), and cloud schedulers; Containerization technologies, such as Singularity, Docker, and Kubernetes; Virtualization technologies, such as VMware, KVM, Hyper-V, and Xen; and Distributed and Cloud storage such as AWS S3, Swift, Gluster, and Ceph. Experience with Linux and Windows image deployments and customization for specific usage scenarios is a strong plus.
We will have a strong preference for a candidate who is passionate about discovering and devising creative solutions for seamless integration of cloud technologies into existing highly complex computing environments and workflows, coupled with method reproducibility. This will require experimentation, deployment of proof-of-concept platforms, and detailed documentation.
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelors degree or equivalent
- Broad experience with cloud technologies
- Deep understanding of networking technologies in virtual and cloud environments
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including documentation
- Good command of UNIX/Linux and mainstream scripting languages
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to collaborate with internal/external teams and vendors
- Ability to oversee complex and recurring cycles of design, evaluation, and troubleshooting of technical solutions
- Excellent troubleshooting and methodical experimentation skills
- Strict compliance to cybersecurity policies and regulations to support workflows with expert controlled software and datasets
Additional knowledge, skills, and experience that are desirable, but NOT required:
- Work experience in a higher education institution
- Advanced degree
- Experience with UNIX/Linux OS kernels
- Experience with scientific and/or engineering code development
- Configuration management and automation (e.g. CFEngine, Puppet, Salt, Chef)
- Experience with request tracking and ticket systems (e.g. Footprints and ServiceNow)
- Broad understanding of network technologies and security
- Complete the the application form, available here.
- Send the application form, cover letter, and your CV via one of the methods below to Paul Manno, OIT/ART/PACE
- Please reference position PVA38848
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- fax: (404) 385-9548
- postal mail (signature confirmation recommended): 258 4th Street NW, Rich Building, #324 Atlanta, GA 30332-0700
Please use this email address above to notify us for documents transmitted via fax or postal mail.