We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
How to apply:
Applications for this position must be submitted via the Georgia Tech Human Resources website. Please visit https://gatech.taleo.net/careersection/gatech_classified/jobdetail.ftl?job=0173994.
Responsible for intermediate level design, integration, implementation and modification of assigned user information systems. This includes coordination of the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of those systems. Provide functional and technical expertise in support of user systems operation and maintenance. May include support of labs, training facilities and general IT office software and hardware.
- Conduct needs analysis, planning and scheduling the installation of new or modified hardware/software.
- Develop functional and technical IT system requirements and specifications.
- Provide technical support through allocating systems resources, managing accounts, administering passwords, documentation, security, recoverability and access including deploying security and operating system patches.
- Monitor and reports on system performance.
- Support internal departmental servers.
- Maintain hardware and software inventories including developing and updating departmental distributed software license management policy.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Two to four years job related experience.
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires working knowledge of advanced concepts, practices and procedures associated with IT systems design, installation and maintenance.
- Preferred Education: N/A
- Preferred Work Experience:
- System administration experience in large scale (100+ servers) environments.
- Experience managing and utilizing foundational IT services (e.g. one or more of: SQL, LDAP, DNS/DHCP, NFS, Kerberos, Shibboleth).
- Strong skills in system utilities and scripting to automate system auditing, health checks, OS patching, system monitoring (e.g. one or more of: Splunk, Nagios, Ganglia)
- Experience using system configuration management tools to manage large server environments (e.g. RedHat Network Satellite, Puppet, CFengine, Ansible)
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and multi-task in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented technical environment as well as succeed with independently managed projects under minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact with a broad range of people of varying technical levels including other IT staff, IT management, application service owners and functional users, including faculty and researchers.
- Self-starter with a positive outlook and motivated attitude.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills:
- Experience optimizing high-performance computer interconnects (e.g. 10/40 GigE, InfiniBand), and configuring HPC middleware such as schedulers and resource managers (e.g. MPI, Moab, Torque).
- Experience deploying and maintenance of HPC resources, including operating system and software installations, monitoring, hardware and software problem diagnosis, documentation and user support of Science and Engineering software (e.g. LAMMPS, NAMD, Abaqus, Comsol, Matlab).
- Experience with content management systems (e.g. Drupal).
- Experience with administration of science hubs and workflows (e.g. hubzero, galaxy).
- University or public sector experience in support of research, especially including experience managing regulated data (e.g. ITAR, e-PHI).
Occasional off-hours or weekend work, and travel 1-10 nights per year is possible. The work environment involves adherence to safety precautions relative to working near electrical circuits, plus handling of objects up to 25 pounds.
Impact & Influence:
This position will interact on a consistent basis with: N/A. This position typically will advise and counsel: Senior leadership. This position will supervise: assigned unit staff
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides information technology leadership and support to the Georgia Institute of Technology, working in partnership with academic and business units to meet the unique needs of a leading research university. OIT serves as the primary source of enterprise-wide information technology and telecommunications services in support of students, faculty, staff, and researchers. The Partnership for an Advanced Computing Environment (PACE) seeks to create and maintain research computing services in support of Georgia Tech's academic and research missions. Our goal is to facilitate Institute and external partnerships, architectures, technology pilots, and leading edge infrastructures that deliver unique and sustained competitive advantage to Georgia Tech faculty, students, and staff. PACE also strives to foster a work environment that is customer centered; values diversity of all forms; encourages, enables, and rewards innovation, service excellence, teamwork, and collaboration (both within OIT and the Georgia Tech community); and effectively balances leading edge and production activities. For additional information about PACE, visit: http://www.pace.gatech.edu